Saturday, June 23, 2018

Betty and Bill

You never know what or who you will encounter when leaving home. I believe that everyone on this trip so far has met someone that has either touched their heart or has given them a story to share. I have been lucky enough to have met two older people from Spencer, West Virginia. On our first day in town we went to the Committee on Aging. After a few games of Bingo we had lunch with the people there.  By chance I happened to sit next to a woman named Betty with a bright purple shirt and who was filled with stories and laughter. I never thought I would see Betty again. Which is a sad thought, but it was almost as if we were on an airplane sharing our life story with a complete stranger. But later that night when I was reading on the porch Jeannie called me inside. Betty was her neighbor and I was welcome to go over and visit her.

What happened next was a "tiny miracle". I was sitting across from Betty in her living room with a group of other students, surrounded by photos of her family. Generations of her family sat with us all as we talked. After she shared stories of her life, family, and the weather that we soon realized we had spent an hour sitting with her visiting. It was time for us to leave and hugs were shared among everyone. I felt that an hour of talking and a hug was not enough for Betty and I. I still wanted to hear about how her grand kids were doing and what her life was like when she was younger. I wanted to share with her our green mountains like she has shared hers with us. Which left me with one option that I knew was very important. I asked Betty for her mailing address so we could stay in touch. And now when I go back home, nestled back into the green mountains, I can continue my conversations with Betty. 

Just like I had said earlier, I was fortunate enough to meet two people that have touched my heart. We were back at the Committee on Aging on our second day. We found ourselves again sitting among residents of Spencer. Some we had seen before, others were new faces. While I was munching away on a PB&J an older man approached our group. We started out by exchanging stories and then eventually to exchanging names. This man's name was Bill. He told me about his life when he was younger and all the mountains and hills he had climbed. He told me about a canoe he had made and wished that he could take out on the water again. He told me stories of his wife who passed away nine years ago and all three of his children. I was truly compelled by every story and passing minute that I shared with him. We had been talking for so long that everyone had left and we were the last ones sitting at the tables. 

Our goodbye was a handshake and some good words of advice. He told me that when looking for "the one" never pick the first one. And because of that he was able to meet his wife. I will never forget Betty or Bill. Their love and wisdom will forever stay in my heart. Hopefully, I have touched them in some way too.  


-Bridget G

No comments:

Post a Comment